Pages

Saturday, July 24, 2010

44

DSC_6116

"Why do you want my picture anyway? I'm so old and ugly" Joyce said to me.

Recently I read an interview of fitness guru Jillian Michaels in Time magazine. She was asked, "What would you say to people who have lost weight but still have areas that they are unhappy about flab, saggy skin, veins etc?" Her response made me gag. She said that people need to accept the fact that everybody will eventually get old and ugly.

Sure we all get old but ugly? WTF! Am I the only one who thinks that there is something wrong with a person who thinks that old age equals ugly?

I'll have you know Ms. Michaels, Joyce is one fine woman. Take a good look at her. She is old AND she is beautiful.

I am not going to pretend that I am untouched by the pressure women face to retain a youthful appearance. We bemoan our bodies made obzoke by pregnancy.  We babble incessantly about diets and exercise and joke about surgery. Some of us do more than joke.

Still as much as I view with alarm my changing physique, I have to say that Jillian you are on your own with the view that you have expressed.   Maybe you plan on being ugly. Me, I'm gonna be like my girl Joyce. I'm gonna be old and gorgeous.

2 comments:

  1. AMEN!!! I loved reading this post. I agree that Joyce is a lovely woman and #45 as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a crown of snow white hair or the joyous wrinkles formed by a lifetime of smiling, those are marks of beauty in my book. thank you for celebrating that.

    ReplyDelete